"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Emerson

Friday, January 30, 2009

Acceptance...

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."
-The Serenity Prayer


I am not good at acceptance. I cannot seem to accept things, people, or circumstances that I believe should change. It has always been a struggle for me and probably, the root of most of my anxiety. When I see something that is broken, immediately I search for ways to fix it. When I see someone who is broken, I do the same and then become confused, angry, and distraught when they don't heed to my brilliant "suggestions."

God has really been breaking me on this. He has told me that if I don't get this piece of the puzzle, I am not going to get ANY of it. The truth is life is just a series of things we cannot change and yet, we are supposed to learn to live with it. And not just with an "ok, fine, whatever!" attitude, but one of contentment.


"The fear of the LORD leads to life:
Then one rests content, untouched by trouble." Proverbs 19:23


You see, our eyes are not supposed to be fixed on the things, people or circumstances we cannot change. Our eyes are to be fixed on the One who can. We are supposed to have a fear of God. This means, we are supposed to look at Him with such adoration and jaw dropping awe that our lives, whatever happens within them, can remain steady in His peace and calmness because we know His strength and glory.


I continue to struggle with this daily. I so desperately want certain things and certain people in my life to change for what I view to be "the better". Thank God He doesn't listen to my amateur solutions and instead can see the entire picture of what needs to happen.


No matter who or what in your life you believe needs to change, God is willing to give you a peace that transcends all understanding so that you no longer have to fear life and all of its circumstances, but rather, just fear (as in revere) the One in control of it all.


Here's to learning to accept the things we cannot change...


Until next time,
-C.
As always, post your thoughts, ideas, and topics...and become one of my "followers" so I know people actually read this. I know there are more of you out there, don't make me start naming the city and state from which you are following ;).

No comments: