"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Emerson

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Modern Day Babylon

I haven't blogged in awhile due to a combination of craziness of the life that is mine and the fact that I have been completely uninspired in the writing realm. A case of writer's block perhaps, I don't know.



I've started a new Bible study by my all time favorite Bible teacher, Beth Moore. It is the study of Daniel, which is about living a life of integrity in a spiritual challenging "Babylon" (you know, the world of glitz, glamour and temptation we face everyday) as well as some other deep theological teachings that I am just trying to get God to teach me because it is way...over...my...head.



Anyway, I've been thinking about the concept of Babylon and how the world can influence me. I enjoyed a couple days of self-righteousness as I thought to myself, Well, I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I have no self destructive behaviors that I can think of and I usually try to do the right thing. I must be overcoming this Babylon!



Just as soon as I got my hand twisted behind my back for a self inflicted pat, God threw some conviction my way. I started to think of all the ways I've let the world leak in and change me for the worse. I came up with a long list, that I am working with God on, but I thought I could share a couple of them with you. A lot of the "Babylon effect" in my life comes with what I put in my brain. I really think reality shows and celebrity gossip are where I become so consumed by the Babylonian giants that I can't even see straight. You see, I am a fan of just about any reality show: Housewives of Any County, Jon and Kate plus all their kids, Tori and Dean in love or in Hollywood, you name it, I watch it. I get sucked in to it and am just so curious about their lives. What freebies are those multiples getting this week? Who is getting in a catfight on this episode? What is it like to be a Hollywood mom?



It is subtle really. I put it in my head and then think it is gone for good. Until I begin having wants for things I never really cared for before: tummy tuck after I have all my kids like Kate, blonding my hair until platinum is the only word to describe it like Tori, a luxurious home and furnishings like all the Housewives. Then, pretty soon I see a Babylonian attitude rearing its ugly head:
"You have trusted in your wickedness and have said, 'No one sees me.' Your wisdom and your knowledge mislead you when you say to yourself, 'I am and there is none besides me.'"
Isaiah 47:10 NIV
Our own Babylon says to us that this world is revolving around us. Our own Babylon says that no one else matters but ourselves, our lives, our homes. I may not be in the throes of the obvious Babylon ways, but as I allow the Babylon ideas float into my brain through reality tv and celebrity gossip magazines, I am putting my heart at risk of those ideas taking root and changing the truths I know in my heart.
I'd like to tell you that I have canceled my US Magazine subscription and I have stopped watching reality tv. But, no, as I type Tori and Dean play in the background. Ultimately, maybe God will convict me about turning from those things, but for now, He has convicted me to start recognizing the Babylon ideas in everything I put in my brain. Little steps, right?
Here's to silencing the Babylon....
Until next time,
-C.

2 comments:

Lindsay (aka Linz) said...

Great post, Catherine. Really enjoyed reading through this -- good stuff to think about. :)

Jocelyn Green said...

Catherine, a great reminder to all of us to watch out for the little things that sow seeds of discontent in our lives. And yes, it will take little steps to weed out what God wants us to rid in our lives- if we try to beat everything back all at once, we are bound to be discouraged and tempted to give up altogether.