"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Emerson

Friday, March 20, 2009

Lessons from my travels...

So, this past week, my mom, my sister, my daughter and I enjoyed 5 fun filled days on the other coast in sunny San Diego. It was a great time, filled with visits from friends and various sight seeing trips. But, it was also a time of learning...

Here is what I learned during my travels:

#1: Children don't have to travel to have fun. We took a 7 hr plane ride to the other side of the country and do you know what my child's FAVORITE part was?? The "El-a-vay-tor" as she called it. Yep, forget the San Diego Zoo or the La Jolla beach, the stinkin' Embassy Suites Elevator was the most exciting part of our adventure to her!!

#2: Just because celebrities like it, doesn't make it good. So, after years and years of watching reality shows and reading gossip magazines in which celebrities are chowing down on their Pinkberry yogurt, I finally got my chance to taste this seemingly magical dessert. And can I just say GROSS!! It had no flavor and tasted a bit like frozen chalk. Just because you are rich and famous, does not mean you have a mature pallete!

#3: I have to live in a major city before I die. I've discovered one more "bucket list" item. I really, really, really want to live in a major downtown before I die. San Diego would be ideal: it is safe, fun, and filled with sunshine! We'll see where the military takes us, maybe my dream can come true!

#4: Traveling with a toddler does not constitute a vacation. I don't know if it was the vomitting in the middle of the airplane aisle, or chasing her around the San Diego Zoo, making the screeching monkeys look tame, but somewhere along the line, I grew increasingly more tired than I was before this "vacation." I've learned that 2 years old is NOT the time to take major trips across the country. Brad and Angie, I do not know how you do it...but I guess the army of nannies helps. Anyway, I now must spend the next 5 to 6 days recovering from the travels that were meant to bring me renewed strength.

All in all, it was a fun time and we were able to see some of my dearest friends who have relocated to the west coast. But, for future reference, I will be choosing a vacation destination within an hour of my home that has the most exhilirating elevator, so we can all have fun and rest!

Here's to travels...

Until next time,
-C.

1 comment:

Christi said...

Grace is NOT almost 2 already is she?! WOW!!!! What a fun trip (at least in theory). You have my 100% sympathy for the pains of having a miniature sidekick- they are so adorable but can really make travel tough! And don't move to the West Coast until I have had a chance to meet up with you in the East! ;-) PLEASE. ;-)